It’s the little things that count, like wearing sunscreen. Eighty percent of premature aging is caused by the sun. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want premature aging. Aging is a natural part of growing old, you can’t prevent it, but you can slow it down.
The sun has two different types of rays, UVA and UVB. UVA rays are also called aging rays, UVB rays are burning rays. UVA penetrates into your skin all the way to the dermis. This is what causes premature aging and wrinkles. UVB penetrates the outer layers of your skin causing a sunburn. Here are a few tips to help you age less.
- Wear sunscreen. You should wear sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30. When choosing a sunscreen make sure it is broad-spectrum. This means it will protect you from both UVA and UVB. Sunscreen should be applied 20 minutes before going outside into the sunshine.
- No tanning. Everyone loves tanning but it is so harmful for your skin. Your skin turning tan means that it’s trying to protect itself from the harsh rays. Tanning not only ages your skin but can increase your chances of skin cancer. Ninety percent of skin cancer is caused by UV rays. A safe way to tan your skin is by using self tanner or getting spray tans.
- Drink lots of water. When your skin is dehydrated it is more prone to fine lines and wrinkles.
- Use anti-aging skincare products. Even if you’re 22 and have no wrinkles use some kind of anti-aging product on your skin! Prevention is key. You can’t undo aging.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol. When you smoke it decreases the oxygen level in your skin. It ages your skin very quickly, and causes you to wrinkle very easily. Drinking alcohol dehydrates your skin, making it more vulnerable to wrinkles and fine lines.
You can help your skin age less by using skincare products targeted for aging skin, regularly see a professional for treatments that slow aging such as micro-needling, photo-facials, chemical peels and staying out of the sun!